Thursday, July 31, 2014

My July Playlist! *Birthday Edition*


I'm SO sad July is over!  On the bright side, it's playlist time!  This month's is a bit different from previous playlists.  A few weeks ago I turned 25!  On my actual birthday I went skating with my cousins for adult only night.  We had a blast!  There is something big planned for a birthday party but nobody will tell details!  So, in honor of turning 25 I decided to do 25 songs I listened to growing up.  It was VERY hard to narrow it down but I think I did a good mix.  Prepare yourself to go back to the 90's/early 2000's!  What songs did you listen to growing up?

1. I Want It That Way by Backstreet Boys
This song was SO huge!  It was literally EVERYWHERE!  The album came out like a week before my 10th birthday.  None of my friends had it but me.  That year my mom got me a Backstreet Boy birthday cake.  I pretty much died!  I just loved them so much and I still do!  Brian is my favorite and he waved at me TWICE last month at their concert.  Favorite lyric: But we are two worlds apart Can't reach to your heart When you say That I want it that way

2. I Want You Back by *NSYNC
Do you notice a theme already?  I actually discovered *NSYNC before Backstreet Boys but I couldn't just choose one!  This song reminds me of the countless hours spent trying to learn the dance moves.  It was never actually a success though.  I REALLY wish they would do a reunion tour because I'd be all over that.  Fun fact: I actually met Justin Timberlake back in February and it was AMAZING!  You can read about it here.  Favorite lyric: Baby I remember The way you used to look at me and say Promises never last forever I told you not to worry I said that everything will be alright I didn't know than that you were right

3. Back At One by Brian McKnight
This was the love song of my childhood.  The video was SO depressing though!  My older sister and I would lip sync karaoke to it in our bedroom all the time.  It's just a really sweet song.  Of course I understand it better now that I'm older.  I still listen to it.  Favorite lyric: One you're like a dream come true Two just wanna be with you Three girl it's plain to see that your the only one for me Four repeat steps one through three Five make you fall in love with me If ever I believe my work is done then I start Back at One

4. Summer Girls by LFO
This song was my obsession!  It made LFO huge even though the lyrics are SO random!  I honestly have it on my iPod right now.  It's just catchy and fun!  My mom hated rap music so I felt so cool singing this since it was technically pop.  I miss them but sadly the lead singer died a few years ago.  Favorite lyric: New Kids On The Block had a bunch of hits Chinese food makes me sick And I think it's fly when girls stop by for the summer, for the summer I like girls that wear Abercrombie and Fitch I'd take her if I had one wish But she's been gone since that summer

5. Wannabe by Spice Girls
I'm pretty sure every girl from the 90's had the girl power fever.  I totally did!  I had every doll, movie, poster, and pretty much every item they made.  I played this song over and over.  It's SO catchy!  When they did a reunion a few years ago I got so excited!  Sadly I couldn't go but I have high hopes for another in the future.  Favorite lyric: What do you think about that now you know how I feel Say you can handle my love are you for real I won't be hasty I'll give you a try If you really bug me then I'll say goodbye

6. Because Of You by 98 Degrees
I am in love with Nick Lachey.  I thought they were the most underrated boyband of the 90's.  I loved them though.  I had many posters of Nick on my wall.  I was also OBSESSED with the Nick and Jessica reality show that came out while I was in high school.  I own every season!  They actually have a new album out and it's really good!  Go check it out!  Favorite lyric: Honestly could it be you and me Like it was before neither less or more 'Cause when I close my eyes at night I realize that no one else could ever take your place

7. Hey Juliet by LMNT
So I listened to Radio Disney a lot as a kid which is how I discovered this song.  I'm not sure if they have any other songs but this was my jam.  I shared a room with my older sister and she hated this song because I constantly played it.  I still listen to it.  It's catchy and cheesy which I seem to love.  Favorite lyric: Hey Juliet I think you're fine You really blow my mind Maybe someday, you and me can run away I just want you to know I wanna be your Romeo Hey Juliet

8. Say My Name by Destiny's Child
This song made me love Destiny's Child.  I like girl power and this song brought it.  All their songs were girl power which made me love them even more.  I was also in love with the video.  It was so cool and different from other videos at the time.  I'd listen to this every single night on my mix tape I made.  That made me sound very old.  Favorite lyric: Say my name, say my name When no one is around you, Say baby I love you If you ain't runnin' game Say my name, say my name You actin' kinda shady, Ain't callin' me baby Why the sudden change?

9. Macarena by Los del Rio
This was the dance craze of my childhood!  It was EVERYWHERE!  We would always hang out at the roller skating rink pretty much daily.  Every single time this played we would skate while doing the moves.  It probably wasn't very safe but we survived.  It has many memories.  Favorite lyric: Hey Macarena!

10. Heartbreaker by Mariah Carey feat. Jay Z
This was from my favorite album by Mariah Carey.  I got the Rainbow album for Christmas and it is still a favorite.  It was always in my discman.  My sister tried to steal but I caught her every time.  Go check out the album Rainbow, you won't be disappointed.  It's WAY better than her new stuff.  Favorite lyric:  Heartbreaker you've got the best of me But I just keep on comin' back incessantly Oh why did you have to run your game on me I should have known right from the start You'd go and break my heart

11. Hot In Herre by Nelly
Remember when I said my mom hated rap?  Apparently it grew on her because she surprised me with Nelly tickets for my 13th birthday.  It was my very first concert.  It was SO much fun and I even got his autograph!  This song was HUGE that summer.  I still remember every detail of that concert.  Now I'm addicted to concerts!  Favorite lyric: I need you to get up up on the dance floor Give that man what he askin for Cuz I feel like bustin loose and I feel like touchin you And cant nobody stop the juice so baby tell me whats the use

12. He Loves U Not by Dream
Most people probably don't even know who Dream is because they were only around a hot second.  I jumped on the bandwagon.  I loved their album and then somebody stole it from me at camp.  They were a really good group but they just faded amongst all the other groups of that time.  This song was my favorite.  I think they only had one other single which was also good.  Favorite lyric: No chains to unlock So free to do what he wants He's into what he's got He loves me, he loves you not No matter what you do he's never gonna be with you He's into what he's got He loves me he loves you not

13. MMMBop by Hanson
Of course this song made the list.  It is an iconic 90's song!  Surprisingly I wasn't a fan of Hanson.  I just preferred the other boybands.  This song was just everywhere so I loved it.  This is another song that was a big hit at the roller skating rink.  Also nobody really knows the words.  Favorite lyric: So hold on the ones who really care In the end they'll be the only ones there And when you get old and start losing your hair Tell me who will still care Can you tell me who will still care?

14. Oops! ...I Did It Again by Britney Spears
Britney was and still is my idol.  This was the first "risky" video she did and I was obsessed!  I totally wanted a red leather jumpsuit just like her.  Also can we just talk about the dance moves?  They were pretty much perfection and we tried to copy them.  We weren't that good though.  Favorite lyric: Oops!...I did it again I played with your heart, got lost in the game Oh baby, baby Oops!...You think I'm in love That I'm sent from above I'm not that innocent

15. Dirrty by Christina Aguilera
This song was a huge shock for a lot people.  I was a fan from the beginning.  I loved it because it fit her personality better.  She wasn't made to be sweet and innocent.  She really went for it and shed that image and it totally worked.  The video was totally unexpected which I loved even more!  I applaud her.  Favorite lyric: Wanna get rowdy Gonna get a little unruly Get it fired up in a hurry Wanna get dirrty It's about time that I came to start the party Sweat dripping over my body Dancing getting just a little naughty Wanna get dirrty It's about time for my arrival

16. When The Lights Go Out by Five
My cousin and I were totally OBSESSED with this song.  It was always on the radio and back then MTV actually played videos.  I never bought their album or anything but they had a few good songs.  We just felt cool because it was sorta like rapping.  We were a bit nerdy.  Favorite lyric: Baby when the lights go out Every single word cannot express The love and tenderness I'll show you what it's all about Babe I swear you will succumb to me So baby come to me When the lights go out

17. Unpretty by TLC
This song was a pretty big deal for my generation.  Nobody really talked about topics like plastic surgery or eating disorders like they do now.  TLC always went for those kinds of subjects.  The meaning behind the song is still true today.  Nobody should tell or make you change.  Just be your true self.  Favorite lyric: You can buy your hair if it won't grow You can fix your nose if he says so You can buy all the make up That M.A.C. can make But if you can't look inside you Find out who am I too Be in the position to make me feel So damn unpretty

18. With You by Jessica Simpson
I'm a HUGE Jessica Simpson fan.  I buy every product she puts out.  This was my most played album in high school.  Many people think she puts on an act but I went to her concert and she was exactly the same.  I love this song and video because she isn't afraid of making fun of herself.  I'm super sad she got divorced from Nick but I still love both.  Favorite lyric: Cause with you I can let my hair down I can say anything crazy I know you'll catch me right before I hit the ground With nothing but a T-shirt on I never felt so beautiful Baby as I do now Now that I'm with you

19. Back Here by BBMAK
These were the British heart throbs of my childhood.  I was in love with them.  They were just different from other boybands.  They were still pop but they played instruments which others didn't.  None of my friends were as interested but I didn't care.  They had really good songs and were cute.  Favorite lyric: So I told you lies even made you cry Baby I was so wrong  Girl I promise you now my love is true This is where my heart belongs

20. C'est La Vie by B*Witched
This another group my cousin and I loved.  They were a girl group from Ireland and came along after the Spice Girls hype.  I discovered them on a Disney Channel concert series.  I played the album so much that my mom even knew the words.  Also the girls and I in my cabin at camp did our own dance to this song for the talent show.  Favorite lyric: I wanna know just what to do Is it very big is there room for two? I got a house with the windows and doors I'll show you mine if you show me yours

21. Girls & Boys by Good Charlotte
This may be a surprise considering the list so far.  I went through a punk phase in high school.  This was my favorite band by far.  I played their albums all day.  I thought I was so cool and punk.  It passed but I'm still a huge fan.  Favorite lyric: Girls don't like boys Girls like cars and money Boys will laugh at girls when they're not funny And these girls like these boys, like these boys like these girls The girls with the bodies like boys with Ferrari's

22. Miami by Will Smith
Who doesn't love Will Smith?  He always did the best party songs.  I always imagined Miami was exactly like this in real life.  It actually is!  Years after this song came out I went to a camp in Miami.  This song still played regularly on the radio.  I didn't wanna leave!  Hopefully someday I'll go back.  Favorite lyric: Party in the city where the heat is on All night on the beach till the break of dawn Welcome to Miami Buenvenidos a Miami Bouncin in the club where the heat is on All night on the beach till the break of dawn I'm goin to Miami Welcome to Miami

23. Livin' La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin
I couldn't make this playlist without including Ricky Martin.  This was another song I played over and over.  My family got so tired of it.  I can't help myself, once I love something I can't stop.  He was just super cute.  Plus this song was very catchy.  I loved all his songs though.  Favorite lyric: Woke up in New York City in a funky cheap hotel She took my heart and she took my money she must've slipped me a sleeping pill She never drinks the water and makes you order French Champagne  Once you've had a taste of her you'll never be the same Yeah she'll make you go insane

24. Aaron's Party by Aaron Carter
I love Aaron Carter!  This song has SO many memories for me.  I'm so glad he is coming back with new music.  I'm also going to his tour this fall and I'm FREAKING out because I get to meet him!  It's going to be awesome!  Maybe he'll even sing to me!  I can dream right?  Fun Fact: He follows me on Twitter!  Favorite lyric: The door bell rings cuz the party's here I'm crankin' up the stereo like it's New Years Walkin' 'round the house like who's Da Man (Nobody can do it like Aaron can)

25. Love Don't Cost A Thing by Jennifer Lopez
This is my favorite J. Lo song.  I'm all about the message behind songs.  This song is all about love being enough.  Men think buying us gifts is the solution to any problem.  In reality, we just want somebody who actually loves us and listens to us.  Plus I just loved the video.  Favorite lyric: When I took a chance Thought you'd understand  Baby credit cards aren't romance So you're tryna buy what's already yours  What I need from is not available in stores  Seen a side of you that I really feel Doing way too much, never keep it real If it doesn't change, gotta hit the road  Now I'm leaving, where's my keys? I've got to go



xo,
Jerica

No comments:

Post a Comment