Tuesday, September 1, 2015

People With Disabilities Matter


Today's post is something very personal to me.  I experienced something that was extremely rude a few days ago and I wanted to speak up.  If you want to know more about my disability then read this post.  I've been in a wheelchair my entire life but I don't see myself that way.  I never have and never will.  I feel like I need to stand up for people who can't do it themselves.

Let's talk about the situation that I mentioned.  In December I graduated from college with a Computer Science degree.  I decided to go back for Computer Programming this fall.  I was having trouble with my Financial Aid so I decided to call the office.  I obviously can't drive on my own or take care of myself.  The lady basically said if I'm that incapable how am I taking classes and I should sign my rights over to somebody else.  I was EXTREMELY hurt and offended.  I reported her as well.

I have a brain that works.  I have my own thoughts and opinions.  I am a human being.  So my legs don't work and I can't use my arms, who cares?  I am still a person and deserve to be treated like everybody else.  Some disabilities aren't as noticeable as mine but they still matter.  Next time you see somebody who is in a wheelchair, deaf, blind, or even have down syndrome say hello.  Trust me it will make them feel happy.  Don't pity us because we don't pity ourselves.



xo,
Jerica

No comments:

Post a Comment