Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Living With Muscular Dystophy But Not Letting It Define You



I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy when I was a year old.  If you don't know what this is, it means I have an extra chromosome which prevents me from walking.  Over time your muscles slowly deteriorate until ultimately you die.  This is just something that my parents and I have learned to deal with.  I'm hear to tell that you that just because you have a disease you don't have to let it define who you are.  I don't look in the mirror and see myself in a wheelchair.  All I see is a normal 25 year old who goes out to bars, goes to concerts, and just enjoys life.  Of course I know I have certain limitations but I still find a way.  I have never felt alienated or left out in my entire life.  I remember being 5 and wanting to play t-ball because my cousin did and my mom said I could.  In the end I hated it and quit after our first game.  The point is to not let anything define you except yourself.  You decide who you become not some stupid disease.  Muscular Dystrophy is only a small part of me and that's how it should be.  If you also have Muscular Dystrophy and would like to talk please email me.



xo,
Jerica

No comments:

Post a Comment