Monday, August 10, 2015

Let's Talk: Periods


This is a series I've wanted to do for awhile now.  There are some topics that people avoid talking about.  They exist so why avoid it?  Today I'm going to talk about periods.  All women have them and I'm not ashamed to talk about it.  There is a reason I chose periods as the first post.

Everyday when I sign on Facebook I always look at the trending topics.  Over the weekend I saw this article.  It's about a woman who ran the London Marathon on her period.  What made this trending?  She ran the entire time without a tampon because she wanted to raise awareness for women who don't have access to tampons or pads.  I have many thoughts on this.

First off, I applaud her for even running the marathon while on her period.  When I have my period, all I want is chocolate, Netflix, and sleep.  Yes, I am that stereotypical person and I'm prod of it!  I like her intentions a lot but I feel like there are better ways to raise awareness.  Social media is the perfect place for this type of cause.  It can reach millions with just one post.  Look at the ice bucket challenge and how many people now know about ALS.  There are thousands of people running the race and I personally would feel uncomfortable.  Not because she was on her period but having it dripping everywhere just seems so unsanitary.  I would have considered other peoples feelings before I made that decision.

What do you guys think?  Would you have done it?  Also, what do you think of this series?  Let me know how often you would want a post like this.  I can't wait to hear from you all!




xo,
Jerica

No comments:

Post a Comment